Tulane Home Tulane Home

Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) and Data Use Agreements (DUAs)

If you need to send or receive data or materials that are or could be confidential, proprietary, sensitive, or regulated by law, then you must have an MTA or DUA.

What is an MTA?
An MTA is a contract between a provider and receiver of tangible research materials when the materials are to be transferred to the receiver for the use of the material in their own research.

Why do I need an MTA?
To protect the researcher and the university from legal liability relating to the use of materials and data.

What is a DUA?
A DUA is a contract in which a provider grants the recipient certain data (including electronically stored data) under legal terms restricting the use of the data by the receipient.

Why do I need an DUA?
Certain types of data are required by law to be transferred, stored, and protected in particular ways—e.g., protected health information (under HIPAA) and personal data (under the GDPR).

Materials Transferred to Tulane

Organization sends MTA to Tulane OTT. OTT reviews MTA with Tulane researcher. OTT signs MTA.


Materials Transferred from Tulane

Tulane researcher contacts OTT. OTT sends MTA to receiving organization. OTT signs MTA.

MTA Request Form

If you have any questions, then please contact Kara McQueen-Borden or Olivia Zelony for more information about MTAs or DUAs.