Tulane University Vice President for Research Bridge Research Support
Call for Applications will be opened Fall 2023
General Guidelines for Vice President for Research Bridge Research Support
To sustain competitively funded research projects that have temporarily lost extramural support, the Bridge program provides one-time support to eligible Principal Investigators to assist with re-establishing external funding.
A primary objective of the Program is to keep experienced research teams together; thus, priority will be given to retain project staffing temporarily. Also, special consideration will be given to multi-investigator, convergent, and center-type projects.
Who is Eligible
Bridge support is intended for those Principal Investigators who have experienced a substantial reduction from extramural sources, and who can reasonably anticipate regaining competitive support in the upcoming year.
Priority is given to those Principal Investigators who meet the following criteria
- They received continuous extramural funding from peer-reviewed sources during the five years preceding their request
- They have lost or will lose most of their extramural funding between July 1 and June 30 of the current fiscal year
- They can reasonably anticipate re-establishing funding
Expense Categories Eligible for Assistance
Bridge Program support may be requested for the following expense categories
- Salaries/Benefits for research support personnel
- Supplies and Equipment
- Animal Care
Bridge Program support may not be used for
- PI and co-PI salaries (including summer salaries)
- Budget overdrafts on other projects
- Administrative Costs
How to Apply
Applications should include
- A cover letter summarizing the Principal Investigator’s funding history, the need for Bridge Program support and a description of plans to re-establish funding
- A detailed budget of proposed expenditures
- NIH-style Biographical Sketch
The application need not describe in detail the research project for which funding is requested because this program does not evaluate scientific merit per se.
Questions regarding the Vice President for Research Bridge Research Support should be submitted electronically to: Gail Louis, Assistant Vice President for Research: email@example.com
Awards will be made in consultation with an internal review committee and with academic Deans.